Gene, LaDonna and JudyAs a five year old, I was excited about being able to go to school for the first time. The school that I attended from Kindergarten through eighth grade was Lincoln School in Alameda, California. We walked to school every morning. It wasn’t that many blocks away from where we lived. We would either bring a bag lunch to eat in the playground or run home to eat lunch and rush back to school for the afternoon session.
The classes that I enjoyed the most were the sewing and cooking classes that were given to girls in the upper grades of elementary school. I can’t remember what classes they gave to the boys in grade school while the girls were learning to sew and cook, maybe it was some kind of woodworking.
I’m sure that sewing and cooking classes are not a part of Grade School curriculum that is being taught currently in public schools to girls only. I grew up in a time where there was a difference in what boys did and what girls did.
Dad wrote me to let me know about the time when Wanda, our mom, had her father, Grandpa Nunley as her school teacher while she was growing up in Oklahoma. Her dad was her school teacher for a couple of years in a two grade classroom. If I remember correctly, Mom did not like having her father as her school teacher. He expected too much out of her, since she needed to be a perfect student as a good example for the rest of the class.
Judy
No comments:
Post a Comment