Friday, March 6, 2009

Changes


When Mom was growing up, her mother was very strict in following the rules of the churches she attended. If I remember correctly, some of the rules were:

Don’t wear jewelry.
Don’t wear any make-up
Women were not to wear pants.
Women were not to cut their hair short.
It was a sin to go to the movies or to dances.

I’m sure that there were many other don’ts in the Pentecostal movement at the time Mom was growing up in the 1930’s.
From what I can gather, Grandma Nunley made sure that her family strictly followed the rules and traditions of the Pentecostal churches she attended.

Dad tells a sad story that Mom told him about when she was a child, living under the strict rules of the church that were being enforced by her mom (Grandma Nunley).


Wanda told me about the time her grandmother made her a new dress. I don’t know if it was for her birthday, Easter, or what. Wanda said it was a really pretty dress. The problem was that her grandmother didn’t put long sleeves on the dress. This upset Wanda’s mom, so her mom took the dress and cut it up.
She told Wanda, “No daughter of mine will go bare armed”.
Having the dress taken away and destroyed devastated Wanda. Dad

When Richard and I lived in California, we hung around Grandma Nunley a lot. The teachings in the church had changed. The above restrictions didn’t exist in the Pentecostal church that we attended with Grandma in the 1980’s. The picture of Grandma Nunley was even taken at a church function. Grandma was a fun and funny person to be around. She changed a lot over the years.
I didn’t know Grandma Nunley that well when I was young, since she lived in Oklahoma and I lived in California when I was growing up. As an adult, I remember her as a very kind and loving person. We had a lot of good times together in the 1980’s. Judy

No comments: