Saturday, March 28, 2009

Grandma Lottie Truscott

I was going through some old letters that I have saved in a box. A letter I read today is from Dad’s mom, Grandma Lottie Truscott. The letter is probably the last letter that Grandma wrote to Dad before she died. The date on the letter is July 20, 1966. Grandma died in August of 1966. At the time, she was living with Auntie Alice and Uncle Babe.
When Grandma’s letter was written, I had just gotten back from Scotland. David, Cindy and I lived in Scotland from 1964 to 1966. Cindy and I came to California to visit with Mom and Dad as soon as we flew back from Scotland. David was riding back on his Navy ship.
While I was there in California visiting with Mom and Dad and others in the family, LaDonna met Kenny and started dating him.
After our visit, Cindy and I took a bus to Ohio to be with David’s parents. During that bus trip, Grandma Truscott died. I didn’t hear about it until after her funeral.
I don’t know what others were doing at that time. Keith must have just got home from someplace too because of what Grandma wrote in the letter.

Here is Grandma’s letter to Dad. Judy

July 20, 1966

Dear Donald and Family,

I send you a card from Big Pine Creek. We were up there for four days. Alice and I were going to stay a week but we had a large cabin and for just the two of us, they wanted us to move to a smaller one. It was the same price, so we decided to come home with Babe.
I had a letter from Sue and she said the Alphots both died. He died first and a week later, she died.
Did you hear that the girl that lives in Fruter’s house gave birth to three babies in the Alameda hospital? They had one little girl already that was two years old. She had one boy and two girls. That is getting a family fast.

How are all of your little grandchildren? All well, I hope. And for LaDonna, how is she getting along with her sailor friend?
Keith and Judy, I suppose they are still around and happy to be home. It won’t be long till Dave will be coming and I suppose Judy can hardly wait. Well, I can’t blame her for that.

It was swell up at Big Pine but you have to pay to camp now. We had no camper, so we stayed as I said before, in a cabin. $72 a week. Quite a lot of money, I think.

Well, this is just a note to let you know we were home. I went to the Doctor before I left and he said it would be all right for me to go up there.
By now, I will write soon.
All my Love, Mother

No comments: