
This fair story involves my granddaughter Emily. Em has always had a real connection to animals. Ron can remember the time he visited us when she was about two or three years old. She was running in the yard with my dogs and chasing birds and barking right along with my dogs. We always joked that until she was about ten she thought she was a littermate to the rest of the dogs. Her connection to animals inspired Ron's first book "Dog's Are People Too" which is about a young boy who can talk to animals. The book is dedicated to Emily.
One year when Emily was about eight I took her to our county fair. Most kids her age want to head to the rides or games but Emily wanted to see the animals. We visited EVERY animal at the fair. All of the pigs, chickens, goats, etc. etc. What amazed me most was that at every pen, crate, stall and cage, when Emily approached the animals immediately came to greet her. At first I just thought that they were all animals that were used to being handled but I started watching as other children went close and the animals moved away. It was all a little strange and amazing. Emily is a teenager now and has other interests but I suspect that some day she will once again become involved with animals in some way. LaDonna
No comments:
Post a Comment