
Kenny & I also took a cross country road trip but not quite as brave or perhaps crazy as Judy's. I can't picture myself going across country with just a child with me but I guess you never can tell what you might do if motivated enough. Our trip took place in November of 1968. I can't even remember the details of what motivated us but Kenny & I decided when Wade was four months old that we were going to leave Pennsylvania and move to California. We did not own a home at that time but did have an apartment full of furniture and other things. We sold what we could and gave away the rest and took only what we could fit in our car. I did not drive at the time so all of the driving was left to Kenny. He was determined to make the 3,000 mile journey without stopping for sleep. He drove for two days and three nights if I recall correctly and was nearly comatose by the time we arrived. Like Judy, we did not have much money so did not stop to eat but I would occasionally grab something from a gas station as Kenny was filling the car with gas. We mostly ate Vienna sausages and crackers. To this day I do not care much for Vienna sausages. When we finally got to California we moved in with Mom & Dad and Kenny found a job at International Harvester where Keith worked at that time. We ended up returning to Pennsylvania the following spring and have been here since then. I am doubtful we would do anything so silly now but then again we can now afford hotels and food. Ha!LaDonna
No comments:
Post a Comment