
It was World War II and I was in the Navy on my 21st birthday. This is what happened to me leading up to my birthday.
Once the ship that I was stationed on was completed and ready to go out to sea, we went to the Hawaiian Islands and back, in order to test its sea worthiness. The ship turned out fine. Army troops were then loaded onboard and we took them to the Philippine Islands where they got off. We stopped at three other islands, picked up war causalities, and brought them back to Seattle, Washington. I remember that day well. It was July 6th, the day that I turned 21 years old.
Half the men were allowed to go off the ship that day and the other half had to stay onboard on watch. Because it was my 21st birthday, I really wanted to get off. But I couldn’t talk them into letting me off the ship. You see, the sailors were split up into two sections on the ship. One section was called ‘port section’ and the other was called ‘starboard section’. I was in the section that had to stay onboard.
I was allowed to get off the next day, but it just wasn’t the same, since it wasn’t my birthday. Dad
Once the ship that I was stationed on was completed and ready to go out to sea, we went to the Hawaiian Islands and back, in order to test its sea worthiness. The ship turned out fine. Army troops were then loaded onboard and we took them to the Philippine Islands where they got off. We stopped at three other islands, picked up war causalities, and brought them back to Seattle, Washington. I remember that day well. It was July 6th, the day that I turned 21 years old.
Half the men were allowed to go off the ship that day and the other half had to stay onboard on watch. Because it was my 21st birthday, I really wanted to get off. But I couldn’t talk them into letting me off the ship. You see, the sailors were split up into two sections on the ship. One section was called ‘port section’ and the other was called ‘starboard section’. I was in the section that had to stay onboard.
I was allowed to get off the next day, but it just wasn’t the same, since it wasn’t my birthday. Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment