Sunday, June 7, 2009

Keeping In Touch

During the war when I was on a ship, it wasn’t easy staying in touch with my wife, Wanda. While I was out at sea, we couldn’t get mail from home. When the ship would arrive at one of the islands, we would get mail that was there waiting for us. One letter I got told me that I was going to be a daddy again, and another letter told me that Wanda’s sister, Louvena got killed in an automobile accident.

I would write a letter home every day. The letters didn’t get off of the ship until we hit a port. That would cause Wanda to get a stack of letters all at one time.

During the war, the location of our ship needed to stay a secret from the enemy. Because of that, your Mother and I made up a code, so that when I wrote her she knew where I was. For instance, if I asked her if she had seen Bill lately, she would look at her code and see that the name Bill meant that I was in Manila. Or if I said, “How is your sister, Rose, I was in Saipan.
There were different names of people that weren’t a part of our family that I would ask about. That way Wanda knew to look at the code and then she could figure out where I was at the time that I wrote her the letter.

With all the latest technology now, it is much easier to stay in touch with relatives and friends. What ways do you use to keep in touch with others?
Dad

No comments: