Friday, June 26, 2009

The 1950's a Dangerous Time?


Here is another thing that I remember about growing up in the 1950's. Cooking in the kitchen used to be safer for children than it is now-a-days. Wasn't it?
The fun of making cookies was eating the raw cookie dough and we all fought over who got to lick the cake batter from the beaters when Mom made a cake with raw eggs. Also, when we made eggnog, we used raw eggs and actually drank the stuff without getting sick.
As a child I never heard of the word, ‘Salmonella’. When did it arrive in the United States to ruin the fun of children learning to cook in the kitchen?

Egg-associated salmonella is an important public health problem in the United States. Salmonella can be inside perfectly normal-appearing eggs, and if the eggs are eaten raw or undercooked, the bacteria can cause illness.

No one ever taught me that as a child and I ate lots of things that had raw eggs in them without getting sick, and at times I had the deadly stuff all over my hands. Gasp! Now I know better. I also ask, how did we ever survive?
Judy


No comments: