Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Second Car



My second car was a 1960’s Austin Mini. No, it wasn't a Mini Cooper. Mini's were also built by Morris.
I don’t remember what year exactly it was. The unique thing about my second car was that I purchased it in Scotland and the steering wheel was on the right side. That’s right, you had to shift with your left hand. Luckily, the pedals are the same as here in the states. I do remember it had an 850cc engine. It got around 40IMP MPG. The top speed was 60 miles an hour, but it would take almost every curve on the shore road from Sandbridge to Dunoon at that speed.
The roads in Scotland were narrower than they are here in the United States. On some of the roads, two Minis could not pass each other. One of the drivers had to wait in a wide place to let the other one go by first. The one lane roads were roads that permitted two way travel but they were not wide enough to allow oncoming vehicles to pass. This kind of road was common in rural areas in Scotland. To accommodate two-way traffic, passing places were provided called pullouts or turnouts. The distance between points where passing was possible varied considerably, depending on the terrain and the volume of traffic on the road.
It was fun to drive there. You never knew what was around the bend. It could be a herd of sheep or a bull. If you killed an animal, you had to pay for it and all its potential offspring.
The picture above is not the exact car that I owned, but it looked sort of like that.

I sold my Mimi when I was transferred to New London, Connecticut. Richard

No comments: