Friday, December 12, 2008

Judy's Hobbies


I have had several hobbies in my life. Raising my children was my number one priority for many years. I home schooled my youngest three children and part of their learning activities involved cooking, sewing, crocheting, knitting, and other crafting skills. They were skills I passed on to both my sons and my daughter.
I started making dolls with Ginger when she was around 10 years old. I called them "Ginger Dolls". Some of them I sold and the rest I gave away. The little card tags on their arms are what Mom, Dorothy drew and created for me.

Our family has been doing Children’s Church for 24 years now. At one time we had a desire to add puppets to our children’s program. They were very expensive to buy. That is when I started making puppets. I enjoyed making them so much that I continued to make puppets for 10 years. I made all kinds of puppets until I had made around 1000 puppets. I didn’t sell my puppets. I gave them away to children’s workers all over the world. It was a very rewarding ministry. I stopped making puppets after we started raising dairy goats. We raised dairy goats for three years. I also enjoyed that hobby very much. As our children grew up and got too busy doing other things, we sold our goats.


As a Christmas project last year, Ginger and I started painting on goose size wooden eggs. We painted animals for Richard’s family as Christmas presents. Ginger and I called them, “PettiPals”.

















They were fun to paint and people started asking me to paint one for them of their favorite animal or pet. I did not sell them either. I painted a lot of
pets, both pets that were living and those that had died. I did that for a year. I painted a total of sixty-six PettiPals.

Now Ginger, Kenny and I are knitting slippers to give away. Ginger and I are also crocheting afghans, lap robes and other things. LaDonna has given a lot of our finished crafts away to the people in the Nursing Home that she does dog therapy at and to her friends.

Recently, I have started a children’s club at our church called the Brazzle Dazzles. My family and I teach boys and girls ages five years and older how to hand sew, knit, crochet and many other needlework skills. Our group is growing and other adults are joining us in helping the younger generation learn crafts that we learned as children.
Grandma Truscott was the person that spent hours with me passing on her needlework and crafting skills. Mom Dorothy and LaDonna helped me learn my painting skills. Mom Dorothy is an extremely talented artist and is very knowledgeable on the subject. I appreciate all the help I have received over the years from those who have helped me in all my crafting skills.

I’m happy that I can pass what I’ve learned onto others. My favorite thing to do is give what I make away to others for their enjoyment.
Judy

No comments: