
President FDR declared Sunday, December 7, 1941 ‘A Date Which Will Live in Infamy’. That was the day Pearl Harbor was bombed by Japan. Dad remembers that day well. For him that day was a special day to remember. This is Dad’s story. Judy
My mother had an evangelist lady staying at our house for a few weeks while she held meetings at our church.
Sunday, December 7, 1941 after church, the evangelist suggested that we go to an Italian restaurant in San Francisco. I asked my mother and the evangelist if I could take a friend with me. Assuming that the friend I wanted to take was Buddy, the preacher’s son, they agreed. I told them that I wanted to take Wanda Nunley. They were shocked, since I had never gone on a date with a girl before.
We drove to the Nunley’s home. When I rang the doorbell, Wanda opened the door. She soon had permission from her parents and we all headed to the restaurant in San Francisco. While we were eating, a news flash came over the radio. All servicemen were to go back to their ships and bases. Purl Harbor had just been bombed by the Japanese. That was the date that the war started with Japan and my first time to take a girl out on a date to eat at a restaurant.
No comments:
Post a Comment