Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Justin Learns About Guns





















Seeing that we have some stories about boys and the things they sometimes learn the hard way, I have one to share about Justin and a hard learned lesson.

Here in Pennsylvania many of the men are hunters. Though I didn't grow up around guns, my husband had and was an avid hunter. My boys grew up wanting to be just like their dad. From the time they were old enough to walk and talk they looked forward to the time they would be old enough to go along on hunting trips with Dad. The summer that Justin turned twelve finally came. That is the age to legally hunt here in Pa. Kenny & I had been away for the day on a business trip and returned just after it had become dark. On entering the house, the phone was ringing. I grabbed it without even turning on a light. It was Justin. He said, " Mom, I just wanted to let you know I am OK but I will not be coming home". I asked what he was talking about. He said," didn't you see the TV?" No, I had not. I turned the light on to discover that our one and only TV no longer had a screen and there was glass everywhere. I convinced Justin that he needed to return home immediately and that his father would NOT kill him. I was anxious to see how Kenny would handle the situation. When Justin arrived he admitted that he had unlocked the gun cabinet and removed Kenny's shot gun, loaded it and it went off and shot the TV. Kenny calmly told Justin what his punishment would be.

1. He was to help clean up the glass and help his dad carry the TV to his bedroom because he wanted him to see it each morning before he got up and realize that could be his brother, mother or a friend.

2. He was to write an explanation as to what exactly happened.

3. He was to write a paper as to how he felt he should be punished (I still have that paper and we sometimes get it out and have a chuckle) The one that made us laugh was that he should not be able to have a snack for as long as he lives. There are many funny punishments that seemed important to a twelve year old.

4. The big punisher was his dad telling him that he had proved that he was NOT responsible enough to go hunting his first year. That nearly killed Justin when Kenny & Wade were planning their trip and headed out without him.

5. We would not be getting another TV. That lasted several months and became very interesting. My boys did a lot of reading and game playing during those months.

Justin learned a huge lesson and respect for guns that day. You may have noticed the words on Dalton's shirt---I'm Grandma's Payback. Justin says he hopes not. LaDonna

No comments: