Dad was seventeen and Mom was eighteen when they first met. Below is Dad’s story on how it all started.
One Sunday, I decided that I didn’t want to go to church that day. My buddy, the pastor’s son called me in the afternoon and told me that I should have been at church that morning. He said that a new family with lots of children had been there, and the oldest one was a girl. At the time, I was just starting to get interested in girls. The next Sunday I went to church, but the new family didn’t show up. The following Sunday I went again and this time I got to meet the whole family. The oldest girl of the family was very good looking and I hoped that they would continue coming to our church. It wasn’t long before other guys started taking the oldest girl home. They had an advantage over me, because they had their dads’ cars to take her home in, and all I had was my bike or I walked home. Wanda was the girl’s name.
One night after church, I got up enough nerve to ask Wanda if I could walk her home. She lived about four blocks from me. To my delight, she said, ‘yes’. As we walked on the main street of town, we came to the ice cream parlor. I suggested that we go in and get a banana split. Wanda liked the idea. She was eighteen and had never eaten a banana split before. She loved it! The next Sunday night, I asked her to walk home with me again. She did and we stopped again at the ice cream parlor. This time we had a milk shake. The third time I walked her home, I was almost broke, since it was close to payday. We were down to an ice cream cone.
Months Later.........
One night at church, while the pastor was preaching, I looked over at Wanda and said, “Let’s get married”. She said, “Okay”.
And it all started with a Banana Split, milk shake and an ice cream cone.
Posted by Judy
No comments:
Post a Comment