Friday, January 23, 2009

Dad’s Childhood Vehicle Accidents


Dad tells of a couple of accidents that he had as a child that involved vehicles. Here are two of them.

When I was a young child, my family went camping at Niles Canyon with friends. The friends owned a big Model T Ford. In those days, the cars were higher off the ground and they had running boards to step on to, so that it was easier to get in and out of the cars. My mother put me on the running board of the car. I fell off of it and broke my arm. They had to take me to the doctor’s in town to get my arm set. Oh boy, my first time to go camping started out with a bang.

The picture above may be of Dad and that car. He would have to tell you for sure. The next story is about Dad and an Ice Truck.

When I was young, there weren’t any refrigerators. There were only iceboxes. A man called the Iceman would drive around in his ice truck delivering blocks of ice to put into the iceboxes to keep the food cold. The Iceman chopped large pieces of ice with an ice pick to make smaller blocks of ice to fit into the iceboxes. There were always small chips of ice in the bottom of his truck. One day, when the iceman came by, I jumped into the back of his truck to get a piece of ice, just as he was starting his truck. I fell off his truck because he was going too fast for me. I tore up my knee really badly. It was full of gravel and it got infected. It took my mother a lot of time and work to help me get healed from that wound.

Posted by Judy

No comments: