I also have a copy of Cindy's " An Only Child Of Nine". She was right, she had it made. She had all of the benefits of brothers and a sister, nieces and nephews but got to be a spoiled only child as she was being raised. Of course she didn't have siblings to play games, ride bikes, play ball and all the many other things we enjoyed doing together. I don't think I would trade places with her. Cindy was always more a friend to me rather than an aunt. She is just a year older than I and we had some great times together. I suppose you all know that she was instrumental in my meeting my husband of 42 years. For those that don't know that story, here it is.
In July of 1966, while I was working at a company in San Francisco the word passed around the office that the USS Enterprise was coming under the Goldengate bridge. Many of us left our desks and headed to the front windows to watch the huge ship. I remember one of my co-workers saying, "just think, maybe the man you will marry is on that ship". We all laughed and I was very doubtful. That evening Aunt Cindy asked me if I would like to go along to the USO club with her. She had been a hostess there for some time. Our mother said absolutely not, as she didn't believe it was any place that a daughter of hers should be hanging out. Grandma Nunley happened to disagree with her and suggested that I spend the night at their house on Saturday. That way I could go along with Cindy and Mom wouldn't even know. It was not like me to be disobedient but with grandma's blessing I didn't see that it was a big deal. Well I met Kenny that night, who had come to the area on that big ship and six weeks later we were married and the rest is history. I have thanked Cindy and grandma many times over the years for making me be a disobedient daughter, as I have had a wonderful life and a great marriage. LaDonna
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment