Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Truscotts and the Salvation Army


Here are a couple pictures from Australia. One is of Leisa and the other one is of her husband, Darren and children, Cassidy and Lachlan. Their dog’s name is Bella. Leisa said that Bella is gentle and a little bit naughty.

Having relatives from Australia has always made me feel connected to that country.
I know that Grandma Lottie Truscott was always writing to relatives in Australia when I was a child. I also wrote a cousin from there, but I couldn’t remember who it was. If you look at the pictures that LaDonna posted below, Aunty Carol is in one of the pictures. Leisa told me that it was Aunty Carol that I used to write when we were children.

Leisa also told me that our Grandpa Robert’s family was involved in the Salvation Army. This is what she told me.

I think most of the Truscott's were involved in the Salvation Army. I know that all of my Aunts and Uncles were. My nana used to play the tamborine in the Salvation Army Band. I was talking to my mother and she seems to recall my grandfather playing the trumpet in the Salvation Army band and that is where nana and pop met.

Leisa’s pop is our grandfather, Robert’s youngest brother.

Our Dad’s parents, Robert and Lottie also met at the Salvation Army. They met in Arizona when Robert came to the U.S. from Australia.
This is what Dad wrote about Robert and Lottie Truscott, our grandparents.

My father Robert Fredrick Truscott was born in Australia. His father’s name was Fredrick and his mother’s name was Margaret.
Robert was the second oldest child.
Robert and his older brother, James moved from Australia to Bisbee, Arizona to work in the silver mines there.

My mother, Lottie Mosley was born in Canada. Lottie’s mother died at Lottie’s birth. Her father remarried and they had other children. Lottie’s father and stepmother moved from Canada to Fresno, California in the U.S.

Lottie’s stepmother and Lottie didn’t get along. As a young teenager, Lottie was placed in a Salvation Army girl’s school and home. She was then sent to a Salvation Army home in Bisbee, Arizona.

My father, Robert, met my mother, Lottie at the Salvation Army in 1909. They both played in the band. Robert played the flute and Lottie played the tambourine. Two weeks after they met, they got married.

Another story about the Salvation Army is when Robert’s Aunty Elisabeth died. Elisabeth was Robert’s father’s sister.
Leisa said that Elizabeth Truscott was hit by a train when she was on her way into town to sell some Warcrys for the Salvation Army. Warcry is the name of the Salvation Army magazine.

It is so exciting and interesting to discover all of this new information about our Truscott background. I just hope that I'm posting all this information correctly. Thanks Leisa for all the information you have sent me.
Judy


No comments: