Friday, May 15, 2009

School Vacations and Holidays

This month, school will be letting out here in Oklahoma for summer vacation. It will start up again the middle of August to begin a new school year.
I remember when we were children living at 1234 Pease Court in Alameda, California that the school year ended the middle of June for our summer vacation. We started back to school after Labor Day in September to start a new school year.

I asked Leisa, our relative that lives in Australia what their school year was like. Leisa is a teacher’s aide. This is what she emailed to me.

At school here we have a summer break in December/January which of course is through the Christmas period and is about 6 weeks holiday. Then we have one week holiday in March/April for Easter and it is usually a nice time weather wise because it's Autumn (fall). I have to remember that we call things different names here. I get 2 weeks holiday at this time because I am at a private school so it is really lovely being at home for a week by myself. I get to catch up on things.
Then in winter we get another 2 weeks holidays in June/July and finally in spring we have 2 weeks holidays in September/October. It seems like a lot of holidays when you write it down but boy do they fly. Then before you know it you're back into it again, looking forward to the next lot of holidays.


It is so interesting to learn more about our Australian relatives. Judy

No comments: