Dad was only on one ship in the Navy. When he first arrived on the ship, it was still in the process of being built and ready for sea duty. Almost his entire military career was spent on the U.S.S. Fergus APA 82, except when he went to boot camp and later when he was waiting for his discharge at the end of the war.‘APA’ means Amphibious Personnel Assault type of ship. ‘Fergus’ was the name of the vessel and ‘82’ was its numerical identification. Dad was stationed aboard the USS Fergus for more than a year during World War II.
There is a book that I have found, written by a man which was station on the USS Fergus the exact same time that Dad was. I recommend the book highly. I bought one for Dad and myself. Dad has confirmed that the happenings that are written about in the book, took place while he was onboard the ship. This is the book if you are interested. Judy
http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-two-Months-James-Reding/dp/1877809489/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243265832&sr=8-1
No comments:
Post a Comment