Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Sweet Relationship

Dad and Mom’s wedding night, didn’t work out as planned. This is what Dad said happened after their wedding reception.

After the reception, Alfred let me take his car for the night. Wanda and I headed for her parent’s house so that she could change out of her wedding dress. On the way, I was honking the horn to let everyone know that we had just gotten married. We were stopped by a policeman. He told me to stop honking the horn because it was after eleven o’clock. I told the police officer that we had just gotten married. He looked over at Wanda in her wedding dress, and let us go on, with a warning not to make anymore noise.
After Wanda changed, we headed for the Alameda hotel. The management wouldn’t let us rent a room. We looked too young and there was no convincing the management that we were married. I didn’t bring our marriage license with me, so we had to leave there. We decided to drive over to Oakland. At the Hotel Oakland, the same thing happened. Still no room, we drove on.
Finally, we found a small hotel out of the downtown area that rented us a room. When we got to bed, it was about two o’clock in the morning. Wanda turned to me and said, “I want a candy bar”. I got back up, got dressed and walked to a small store that was open all night and bought her some candy bars.

It seems like Dad and Mom started and ended their courtship with something sweet to eat.
Posted by Judy

No comments: