I do remember how stressed Judy was about driving. At one point after she did have a license she was back visiting in the Bay Area. I don't remember where we had gone or whose car we were using at the time but I was out with her and she became very stressed about driving. I had never driven a car in my life and obviously did not have a license at the time. I decided that as I was not stressed that we would be better off with me driving than Judy. We changed places and arrived home safely. I'm not sure if Judy even remembers that day.
I did not get a drivers license until I was 21 years old. I never felt a need for one until the day that I needed to get to a doctor in an emergency and had no one to take me. Here is that story:
Wade was about 18 months old and we were living in a mobile home in a trailer park. Kenny was just pulling out of the driveway to head out for a day of selling insurance. Wade & I were at the door to wave good-by. Just as Kenny pulled away Wade fell out the door onto our cinder block steps. He came up with a bloody face, screaming to high heavens. I tried to stop the bleeding and thought maybe he had bit his tongue off. I was in a panic. Of course there were no cell phones back then and no way to get a hold of Kenny. I made a call to the owners of the trailer park and told them that my baby was injured and needed a doctor and asked if they would take us. No, they could not do that. By then I was in a real tizzy. I called my mother-in-law, who did not drive either and tried to tell her through tears what had happened but couldn't get it out. She awoke one of Kenny's brothers and told him she didn't know what was wrong but that he needed to go to our place. He did show up about a half hour later. Off to the doctor we went to discover that Wade still had his tongue but had knocked several baby teeth back into the gums, had a cut on his tongue and had bitten nearly all of the way through his lip. To this day Wade has scars on his lip from that accident. Needless to say, I immediately learned to drive and got a license, as I was never going to be put in that situation again. LaDonna
Friday, February 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment