Thursday, September 17, 2009

Back on the Train chapter 8



After our long walk in downtown Chicago, Ginger and I headed back to the train station.
We picked up our luggage out of storage and waited in the first class lounge for the call to board our next train. We left the Chicago area around 2:15pm.
The Amtrak train that took us from Chicago, Illinois to Vancouver, Washington was called, the Empire Builder. We were on that train for two days and two nights. We were very happy to have our own little sleeper car room.
Our train headed north towards the Twin Cities in Minnesota. After we got to Minnesota, the train went west. On this part of the trip we traveled through seven states and two time zones.
There were very few stops in those two day in which passengers were allowed to get off the train to walk around outside or get out to smoke a cigarette. Most of the train stops were only a few minutes long, just enough time to load and unload passengers. One of those longer stops in which we could get off the train for a little while was in Minot, North Dakota. Ginger and I got off at that stop with our little pets to take a few more pictures.
In North Dakota there were miles and miles of flat fields. Some of the fields had acres and acres of sunflowers growing in them. Ginger took this picture of the sunflower fields out of our train window as we traveled along.
Judy

1 comment:

1234 Pease Court said...

I saw the pictures on Big Rons fb looks like you all had a very nice visit. I'm looking at the train pics and I'm thinking that would be fun to do. The last time I took a train ride was in 1976 to see my dad who lived in Forks Washington. It was a very long 18 hours.

Debbie